Re: dBs

Sujet : Re: dBs
De : gtaylor (at) *nospam* tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 26. May 2024, 21:05:43
On 5/26/24 12:58, Cursitor Doom wrote:
I was under the impression that one couldn't simply just add dBs to dBms?
I've had very similar question in the laser power on fiber and was given the following understanding:
dB is simply a ratio while
dBm is a ratio referenced against a known thing.
dBm is anchored while dB is floating.
It's sort of like saying someone raised the picture four feet (dB) after the picture started two feet off the ground (dBm).
It's been years since I had it explained to me and I may be wrong and / or the context it was explained to me is different than the context you are asking in.
N.B. the measured aspect of dBm is somewhat of a nomenclature but I believe the m references 1 mW of power.
Then there's the logarithmic aspect and decimal aspect making dB / dBm somewhat more unintuitive to me.
--
Grant. . . .