Re: LCD (large -- TV-ish) monitors with SOLID front surface?

Sujet : Re: LCD (large -- TV-ish) monitors with SOLID front surface?
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 12. Jun 2024, 17:13:54
On 6/12/2024 2:22 AM, Jasen Betts wrote:
Are there any offerings where this might NOT be the case?
 It sounds like you want to put a glass screen protector on the front
of a regular monitor (the front of a regular LCD monitor is the plastic
polariser)
That might work.  Glass or Lexan.  It would have to stand up to the
(slight) abrasion of the "invisible marker pen" (Lexan seems to scratch
even when you think you aren't using anything abrasive; glass might be
problematic at that large size).
Fastening it to the monitor would be a challenge, though.
Plasma TVs seem to have a really robust front surface.  I've seen such
a surface on *some* LCD "monitors" (20-24 inch range) but larger TVs
seem to not be as robust.

The largest glass screen protector I've seen was for a 10" tablet, but they
may make them in larger sizes.
Is it like a screen protector for a *phone* -- that adheres directly to the
normal screen?  Or, is it mounted mechanically?  (and, how "universal" would
such a mount be?)
It would also have to be much thicker than the things used on phones,
especially over such a long span.  E.g., I've demonstrated the durability
of the current plasma TV by pounding on it with a *shoe* (while powered off)
to demonstrate how hard it is to crack...