Re: LCD (large -- TV-ish) monitors with SOLID front surface?

Sujet : Re: LCD (large -- TV-ish) monitors with SOLID front surface?
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 14. Jun 2024, 07:09:20
On 6/13/2024 8:31 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:
Plasma TVs seem to have a really robust front surface.  I've seen such
a surface on *some* LCD "monitors" (20-24 inch range) but larger TVs
seem to not be as robust.

It would also have to be much thicker than the things used on phones,
especially over such a long span.  E.g., I've demonstrated the durability
of the current plasma TV by pounding on it with a *shoe* (while powered off)
to demonstrate how hard it is to crack...
 It's supported by the ahesive and the display it's stuck to. if you
only want to protect the display from chemicals and abrasion then thin
will work.
The front polarizer of a typical LCD TV ("really big monitor") tends to
be flimsy.  A thin piece of glass/lexan might work in that it could
distribute the forces over a larger area -- providing "localized stiffness"
instead of OVERALL stiffness.
Imagine yourself writing on a whiteboard; your motions tend not to be
delicate and deliberate but, rather, sharp and erratic.  I need to protect
the LCD display from your "abuse".
At the same time, ensuring that the protective layer doesn't end up scratched
and cloudy from repeated "markings".

If it was stiffer than the display glass you'd need to disassemble the
display to install the protector. (if wanting to mount it using adhesive)
 Or else live with a gap between the display and the protector (increasing
parallax and potentially collecting debris)
The parallax is disturbing.  Your "ink" appears *in* the display but your
"writing actions" occur outside the protective layer.  So, if there's a
schematic, program listing, photoplot, etc. being displayed on ("in")
the display, it requires a bit more effort to make your marks where you
want them, relative to what is already being displayed (and *updated* to
include your marks).
If you were preparing a document /with deliberation/, you could improve the
accuracy of those markings -- and, edit them until they were as intended.
But, if you are mirroring the display to other sites, then your actions
will tend to be more hurried as you are just trying to present ideas
quickly -- and revise them just as quickly.
If you think of a TV weatherperson interacting with a green-screen,
you can get a sense of how that sort of awkward interface affects
the precision of their annotations (anything "exact" is done off-line
where it can be revised over time; live updates tend to be really crude,
by comparison).
If parallax is the only option, I can use an alternate technology that
eliminates it -- in favor of other shortcomings.  :<
[I *really* don't want to use another plasma TV as they throw off
a lot of heat so you can't ALSO use them as a practical TV (which
would eliminate the need to STORE the thing when not in use!)]