Re: LCD (large -- TV-ish) monitors with SOLID front surface?

Sujet : Re: LCD (large -- TV-ish) monitors with SOLID front surface?
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 16. Jun 2024, 02:37:44
On 2024-06-14, Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

The front polarizer of a typical LCD TV ("really big monitor") tends to
be flimsy.  A thin piece of glass/lexan might work in that it could
distribute the forces over a larger area -- providing "localized stiffness"
instead of OVERALL stiffness.

Imagine yourself writing on a whiteboard; your motions tend not to be
delicate and deliberate but, rather, sharp and erratic.  I need to protect
the LCD display from your "abuse".

At the same time, ensuring that the protective layer doesn't end up scratched
and cloudy from repeated "markings".

If it was stiffer than the display glass you'd need to disassemble the
display to install the protector. (if wanting to mount it using adhesive)

Or else live with a gap between the display and the protector (increasing
parallax and potentially collecting debris)

The parallax is disturbing.  Your "ink" appears *in* the display but your
"writing actions" occur outside the protective layer.  So, if there's a
schematic, program listing, photoplot, etc. being displayed on ("in")
the display, it requires a bit more effort to make your marks where you
want them, relative to what is already being displayed (and *updated* to
include your marks).
 Have you switched fron non-visible ink to virtual ink?  Do you
actually want a touch sensing screen?
The pen that you *hold* has NO ink in it (hence "invisible ink").
I.e., I can scribble on the (current plasma) screen for hours and
you would never know where I had scribbled.
But, the pen *creates* "virtual ink" that appears in the video
signal displayed on ("in") the display.
If you start by displaying a white field, then a casual observer
thinks he is watching a person scribbling on a real whiteboard
(and wondering how the "market pen" keeps changing colors to suit
the wishes of the writer).
A *touch* screen would be nice but would complicate things in
that getting more than one (50-90 inch diagonal) would be costly.
My approach allows me to use a screen wherever I happen to be
(though this has had to be plasma, to date, due to the ruggedness
constraint)
A sheet of glass/lexan would actually be ideal as I could arrange
to have one of suitable size wherever I happened to be (to fit
whatever TV was available)!

If you think of a TV weatherperson interacting with a green-screen,
you can get a sense of how that sort of awkward interface affects
the precision of their annotations (anything "exact" is done off-line
where it can be revised over time; live updates tend to be really crude,
by comparison).
 These days they use actual displays instead of chromakey. Sometimes
even touch sensing displays; there's funny videos of the presenters
discovering this:  eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Goz0PnhEg8
They are still green (or blue)-screens, here (local).  The presenter is
always looking off to (e.g.) stage left to see the composite signal that
is being broadcast (i.e., with HIM/HER *in* it) to verify that he/she is
pointing and gesturing appropriately.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUkZsfqPmX8>
National broadcasters use more sophisticated displays.

If parallax is the only option, I can use an alternate technology that
eliminates it -- in favor of other shortcomings.  :<

[I *really* don't want to use another plasma TV as they throw off
a lot of heat so you can't ALSO use them as a practical TV (which
would eliminate the need to STORE the thing when not in use!)]
 Not knowing your actual requirements I'm going to refrain
from making specific suggestions.