Re: Intel demonstrates first fully integrated optical I/O chiplet

Sujet : Re: Intel demonstrates first fully integrated optical I/O chiplet
De : jeroen (at) *nospam* nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 28. Jun 2024, 20:08:21
On 6/28/24 14:42, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Intel Demonstrates First Fully Integrated Optical I/O Chiplet
  Intel's optical compute interconnect chiplet is expected to revolutionize high-speed data processing for AI infrastructure.
   https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-unveils-first-integrated-optical-io-chiplet.html
 Partial quote:
  "What It Does: This first OCI chiplet is designed to support 64 channels of 32 gigabits per second (Gbps) data transmission
  in each direction on up to 100 meters of fiber optics
  and is expected to address AI infrastructure’s growing demands for higher bandwidth, lower power consumption and longer reach.
  It enables future scalability of CPU/GPU cluster connectivity and novel compute architectures,
  including coherent memory expansion and resource disaggregation.
  "
  So ever faster ...

Not to worry, ways will be found to waste it all.
When I see systems with multi-hundred MHz clock speeds
/still/ take several seconds to respond to elementary
requests... Grrr!
Jeroen Belleman