Re: Intel demonstrates first fully integrated optical I/O chiplet

Sujet : Re: Intel demonstrates first fully integrated optical I/O chiplet
De : alien (at) *nospam* comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 30. Jun 2024, 08:11:36
On a sunny day (Fri, 28 Jun 2024 20:08:21 +0200) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <v5mu24$3ekit$2@dont-email.me>:

On 6/28/24 14:42, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Intel Demonstrates First Fully Integrated Optical I/O Chiplet
  Intel's optical compute interconnect chiplet is expected to revolutionize high-speed data processing for AI infrastructure.
   https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-unveils-first-integrated-optical-io-chiplet.html

Partial quote:
  "What It Does: This first OCI chiplet is designed to support 64 channels of 32 gigabits per second (Gbps) data transmission
  in each direction on up to 100 meters of fiber optics
  and is expected to address AI infrastructure’s growing demands for higher bandwidth, lower power consumption and longer
  reach.
  It enables future scalability of CPU/GPU cluster connectivity and novel compute architectures,
  including coherent memory expansion and resource disaggregation.
  "

So ever faster ...

Not to worry, ways will be found to waste it all.

When I see systems with multi-hundred MHz clock speeds
/still/ take several seconds to respond to elementary
requests... Grrr!

Not only that, many mouse clicks needed when a simple command line argument can do it all.
I still have 6 terminals in 9 virtual desktops on this raspberry pi4 with 8 GB ram that I post this from.
I am using zsh as shell... not much typing needed..
OTOH running Chromium is extremely slow, Firefox is faster but has some minor bugs..
My core I5 based laptop is much much faster...

Some time ago we discussed how Microsoft bought shares in some hardware companies
before releasing their next bloat++ update.

Cools way to make money, typical capitalistic...
Supercapitalisticexpi..

But maybe as more and more people cannot read and write, it will be, 'AI show me ...'

Most simple things can we done with a small micro.
I like Microchip PICs  and programming those in asm
Much simpler than python...

Come to think of it, with Musk's brain implants who needs to learn how to speak?
And everybody monitored by AI that now also replaces politicians
sends pain impulses if you do something wrong...
Capitalism that way is a dead end road.

The AI will figure (as I wrote this and it did read it) that humans are not really needed to power it and solar will do!
and send the kill impulse to everybody.

Or maybe make a new species from modified DNA, oh wait maybe that has already happened...

Much of the web computing and bandwidth load is advertising.. was looking at tomshardware.com without ad blocker..
frightening.
And not only do they know where I am, what shops I bought stuff from ..??

There is a big danger there, when byethen was in that discussion with trumpman
look at his eyes, total loss of connection with the world for moments
clearly his brain-implant lost connection with the US Military Industrial Complex.
He is so bad now, imagine him at the end of the next 4 years, IF he makes it.
Not that I would vote for trumpman.. He's bah nana s

Maybe I could for JFK Jr, or maybe not vote at all but move to a safer place...
Space? some island in the pacific? storms coming now... Russia seems safe.
China? Do not speak the language...Food is OK there.
I am a veggy, US with cannibalism on the horizon is nothing for me.

Oh well, its early in the morning have some reading to do, about the pre-world war 2 .

World is gong b.. / there is a series on TV called the 'the repair shop'
where they repair old stuff.
The announcement (online) said 'repairing an old thirties transistor radio...'
I decided not to watch, but do remember getting hold of the first transistors in the fifties.