Re: Artemus Ward (Charles Farrar Browne) died (6-3-1867)

Sujet : Re: Artemus Ward (Charles Farrar Browne) died (6-3-1867)
De : a24061 (at) *nospam* ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 07. Mar 2024, 18:00:26
On 2024-03-06, Ross Clark wrote:

Born 1834. Not a long life. Died of TB.
American journalist/humorist, wrote as "Artemus Ward",
'an illiterate rube with "Yankee common sense"' (Wiki)

Very famous in his day (Abraham Lincoln was a fan), for both writings and public performances. "America's first stand-up comedian" (Wiki)

Crystal quotes a couple of paragraphs from a piece he wrote for _Punch_ in 1866 about visiting the British Museum.
The "illiterate rube" aspect of the character is regularly marked by deviant spellings. In this extract we have:

gorillers
Afriky
beins
altho'
stummuck
goin
lookin
mummys
vasis
rayther
antiquitys
Mooseum
Well, I'd certainly visit a museum about Alces alces.

erthen
uncertin
'zackly
determin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Farrar_Browne
--
We do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak. Bugs are good for building character in the user.
                               ---Klingon Programmer's Guide