Re: πie

Sujet : Re: πie
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 14. Mar 2024, 20:04:02

 Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Márta, scríobh wugi:

 > Just in case anyone missed it, but today is π-day.

My habit is to read US dates in a weak version of boustrophedon, so with
3/14/2024 I start reading the fourteen, then the three, then the 2024. I
haven’t managed to shift mental gear to read them as an authentic
estadounidense does. What do you do?

 > Dunno if this could be considered a literary day, but you'd need all existing
 > and non-existing books in the world to overwrite them with π's decimal
 > expansion or what's it called.
 > Yet in principle one could serve π-pie at exact π-time,
 > day-hour-second-etc-wise.

And with the difficulty of measuring very small differences in time, and the
inherent coarseness in time of the act of serving pie, with current technology
it is as achievable as it ever will be.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’