Re: German: "Hat Einstein fertig?"

Sujet : Re: German: "Hat Einstein fertig?"
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* dev.null (HenHanna)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 25. Mar 2024, 04:00:27
Tim Lang wrote:

On 24.12.2023 18:16, Ruud Harmsen wrote:

Ik heb er genoeg van!
Ich hab' genug davon!

Not quite: he meant "I'm done!", i.e., "I finished my speech".
Upon which he rapidly turns around and vanishes through a
door behind the small place where the impromptu press conference
takes place.

Whereas "ich habe genug davon" means something different:

being "fed up with". Well, of course, Trappatoni was indeed
fed up with something, namely with some soccer players' attitudes
(incl. being lazybones) and certain situations he mentioned in
his jeremiad.

the moment, in 3:07 min., "ich habe fertig":
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1zsUD7UNQ>

Since this (grammatically wrong) "ich habe fertig" the
wording has been used in the German-speaking countries
jokingly to convey the meaning "I'm done (with this/that)",
namely "ich bin fertig (damit)", "basta" etc.

(some of his own reactions many years afterwards are
contained in other video clips shown @ YT too as well  as one reaction by Rummenigge in Italian)

merry X-mas!   Tim
                      Aren't  there  echoes of   (Yiddish-English)   [I've had enough]  ?             Here are some examples of Yiddish calques in English:
           Enough already:       This calque translates the Yiddish phrase "genug shoyn."