Re: OK Day (23 March)

Sujet : Re: OK Day (23 March)
De : me (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 26. Mar 2024, 17:41:55
On 2024-03-26 09:45:16 +0000, Aidan Kehoe said:

 Ar an ceathrú lá is fiche de mí Márta, scríobh Christian Weisgerber:
  > [...] I'd like to nominate the mythic Wild West as the earliest American
 > cultural export that went global, although its spread beyond North America
 > and Europe may postdate WWII again, I don't know.
 Jack London was massively popular in Russia in his lifetime,
and well after his death. When went to Russia on a school trip in 1961 he seemed to bethe only modern writer in English that most Russians had heard of.

 though I can’t see
any comment about contemporary popularity in the Spanish and
Portuguese-speaking New World in the corresponding Wikipedias. As I understand
it, Karl May wasn’t hugely read outside of Europe, though he was huge within
Europe.
--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly in England until 1987.