Virginia Woolf died (28-3-1941)

Sujet : Virginia Woolf died (28-3-1941)
De : benlizro (at) *nospam* ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 29. Mar 2024, 11:42:01
Walked into the Ouse River after filling her coat pockets with stones. It was three weeks before her body was found.
Crystal quotes at length from a radio talk (29-4-1937) in a series called "Words Fail Me".
She says:
"In the old days, when English was a new language, writers could invent new words and use them. Nowadays it is easy enough to invent new words...but we cannot use them because the language is old. You cannot use a brand new word in an old language because of the very obvious yet mysterious fact that a word is not a single and separate entity, but part of other words. It is not a word indeed until it is part of a sentence."
Can anyone make sense of this for me?
Who are the "we" and the "you" in that passage?
Further:
"To combine new words with old words is fatal to the constitution of the sentence. In order to use new words properly you would have to invent a new language; and that, though no doubt we ahsll come to it, is not at the moment our business. Our business is to see what we can do with the English language as it is."
Again the "you" and the "we" (well, "our").
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Woolf