Isidore of Seville died (4-4-636)

Sujet : Isidore of Seville died (4-4-636)
De : benlizro (at) *nospam* ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 05. Apr 2024, 01:05:08
"the last scholar of the ancient world" (Montalembert, per Wiki)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isidore_of_Seville
his _Etymologiae_ (first encyclopedia of the Christian era)
Complete Latin text here:
https://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Isidore/home.html
2006 English translation here:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/etymologies-of-isidore-of-seville/F2336BA779D4ED95E6D25AAE2CCBAD25#
and here!:
https://sfponline.org/Uploads/2002/st%20isidore%20in%20english.pdf
_Etymologiae_ is also known as _Origines_, which seems less misleading.
It does contain many etymologies in our modern sense (histories of words). Most of them are (to our understanding) wrong. Crystal's example: "Wine (vinum) is so called because it replenishes the veins (vena) with blood."
About these Isidore writes:
The knowledge of a word's etymology often has an indespensable usefulness for interpreting the word, for when you have seen whence a word has originated, you understand its force more quickly.
On the strength of this, Crystal convicts Isidore of committing the "etymological fallacy"*, but I don't think it's quite that.
A correct etymology can often help us to understand what a word has come to mean. Even an incorrect etymology may be a useful mnemonic in some cases.
*"the view that an earlier (or the oldest) meaning of a word is the correct one" (Crystal, Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics, 4th ed.)