«Грязь, грязь, чудная грязь!» (Flanders and Swann, Hippopotamus)

Sujet : «Грязь, грязь, чудная грязь!» (Flanders and Swann, Hippopotamus)
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 13. Apr 2024, 21:42:22

I have a healthy 8-month-old daughter and, as is the way, I was looking into
something to entertain her that would be more entertaining for me than Miss
Rachel and the usual current distractions, and Flanders and Swann came to
mind. Their ‘Hippopotamus’ was one of the comic songs I belly-laughed at when
younger, and Youtube has it, uploaded by Parlophone UK, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8izmXTf3958

‘Mud, mud, glorious mud / Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood’ is the
chorus, possibly more familiar to people than the name of the song

One of the choruses in this recording is in Russian (I had known that Swann
was from the longstanding English community in Russia that disappeared with
the Revolution, not a shock), and I was interested in the actual words of
this.

Nikolay Ershov came to the rescue, on russian.stackexchange.com, with a great
answer here:
https://russian.stackexchange.com/questions/14403/hippopotamus-song-flanders-swann-russian-chorus-translationhttps://russian.stackexchange.com/questions/14403/hippopotamus-song-flanders-swann-russian-chorus-translation

I include it here for everyone’s edification:

  «Грязь, грязь, чудная грязь,
  лучшее средство как кожная мазь.
  так возьми свою даму
  и поведи её в яму,
  и там мы окунемся в чудную грязь.»

  Fairly close to the English chorus earlier.

  ['grʲæsʲ 'grʲæsʲ 'tɕudnəjə 'grʲæsʲ] // mud mud wonderful mud

  The singer isn't de-voicing that final /zʲ/ enough. Maybe not the first time
  when the two words are repeated back to back and a voiced consonant follows,
  but for the rest, it should just become [sʲ], no middle ground there.

  ['lutʂəjə 'srʲetstvə kɐk 'koʐnəjə 'masʲ] // best remedy as skin ointment

  The grammar's a bit awkward here, but could just be strained to fit the
  metre. The "tch" cluster in the middle of the first word is a bit too soft,
  but it could be how some Russians actually said it half a century ago (but
  then again your audience might not know that, and it will come across as
  foreign). That final /zʲ/ isn't de-voiced e [tək vɐzʲ'mʲi svɐ'ju 'damu] //
  so take your lady

  [i pəvʲɪ'dʲi jɪ'jo 'vjamu] // and take/lead her to pit/hollow

  [i 'tam mɨ ɐ'kunʲəmsʲə 'ftɕudnuju 'grʲæsʲ] // and there we will_dip into wonderful mud

  The very non-dental [t] at the beginning is probably the most foreign sound
  in this otherwise fairly good rendition. Make that [t] as "French" or
  "Spanish" as you can instead. A weird stress pattern in окунемся (ought to
  be окунёмся); archaic? plain incorrect? greater poetic licence than what
  would fly these days?

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’