Re: To waffle, ‘to waver, to vacillate, to equivocate, to dither’

Sujet : Re: To waffle, ‘to waver, to vacillate, to equivocate, to dither’
De : snidely.too (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Snidely)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english
Suivi-à : alt.usage.english
Date : 02. May 2024, 08:21:19
On Wednesday, Aidan Kehoe queried:
 Ar an chéad lá de mí Bealtaine, scríobh Antonio Marques: >
Never mind that in the bit that Steve quoted to flippantly inquire on
what 'that' meant, it was quite explicitly said 'dither'.
 The "it" there isn't idiomatic
The sentence sounded wrong to me, but even now I'm not sure why.
As to 'it', maybe it's not idiomatic, but is it ungrammatical? I don't
quite see it.
 "It" refers to "dither",
 No, it's an impersonal passive, and I've just found out that for the last
30/40 years I may have been using a construct that english doesn't have.

English does have an impersonal passive, and and what you wrote is grammatical, but again, not idiomatic. No one would have noticed or commented except that the sentence was posted to alt.usage.english. For me this formulating it so:

  “Never mind that the bit, that Steve quoted to flippantly inquire on what
  ‘that’ meant, explicitly said ‘dither’”

reads a little more idiomatic.
I don't like the commas, despite the length of the phrase identifying the bit.
/dps
--
You could try being nicer and politer
instead, and see how that works out.