Re: (MS Word) ".doc" files are (sometimes?) unsafe to share

Sujet : Re: (MS Word) ".doc" files are (sometimes?) unsafe to share
De : me (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 13. Jun 2024, 07:56:51
On 2024-06-13 04:14:12 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

On 13/06/24 13:36, Steve Hayes wrote:

I send all emails in plain text, and if formatting is needed, I send
it as a faile attachment.
That's essentially what I do.
 I recently had to send a document to my uncle and a cousin, so I
converted it to PDF first. It turned out that their mail provider (the
same provider in both cases) rejected mail with a PDF attachment. I'm
going to have to send it by snail mail.
 (Or perhaps it was rejected because my message was in plain text, with
no HTML. I still haven't tracked down the precise cause.)
 Some mail providers are becoming tougher and tougher about rejecting
mail for obscure reasons. (And sometimes they don't even tell the sender
that the attempt failed.) Maybe we'll all have to go back to snail mail.
A few days ago I had a message rejected because it exceeded the size limit. However, they didn't think it helpful to say what the limit was. A day or two later a message with a 13 megabyte attachment was rejected (by the same mail server) but they didn't bother to tell me at all; it just didn't arrive.
Other recent messages didn't because (probably) some servers don't like messages with more than some limit (3?) of recipients. Again, they don't bother to tell you that.
A few years ago I had a message to rejected by mail system of the University of Chile because the subject line contained "Hi". Hi? No, but the subject line was something like "Forthcoming visit to Chile", and "Chile" contains the string "hi".
Sorry, this message says nothing relevant to sci.lang, but then neither did any of the other contributions to this thread (started by someone who never has anything relevant to say).
--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly in England until 1987.