Re: (novaBBS) Fortunes -- As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error. -- Weisert

Sujet : Re: (novaBBS) Fortunes -- As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error. -- Weisert
De : kludge (at) *nospam* panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 22. Jun 2024, 15:49:18
In article <87iky1l7vu.fsf@ID-313311.news.uni-berlin.de>,
issdr  <p_u_n_k_i_n_d@yahoo.it> wrote:
HenHanna wrote:

"Help save the world!" -- Larry Wall in README

i don't get it.

,----[ raw.githubusercontent.com/kaworu/perl1/master/README.perl.txt ]
| IMPORTANT!  Help save the world!  Communicate any problems and
| suggested patches to me, [...] so we can keep the world in sync.  If
| you have a problem, there's someone else out there who either has had
| or will have the same problem.
`----

This is another one that is interesting mostly in context and the expectation
is that readers will have some of the context.

The following paragraph was excised from the original README file that came
with Version 1 of Perl:

--cut here--
   9) IMPORTANT! Help save the world! Communicate any problems and suggested
   patches to me, lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Wall), so we can
   keep the world in sync. If you have a problem, there's someone else
   out there who either has had or will have the same problem.
   If possible, send in patches such that the patch program will apply them.
   Context diffs are the best, then normal diffs. Don't send ed scripts--
   I've probably changed my copy since the version you have.
   Watch for perl patches in comp.sources.bugs. Patches will generally be
   in a form usable by the patch program. If you are just now bringing up
   perl and aren't sure how many patches there are, write to me and I'll
   send any you don't have. Your current patch level is shown in
   patchlevel.h.
--cut here--

This was in the days before central repositories made for more uniform
software distribution.  I'm not sure it made any real steps toward saving
the world, however.  Just say no to Perl 5.
--scott