Re: International Typewriter Day (23 June)

Sujet : Re: International Typewriter Day (23 June)
De : wugi (at) *nospam* brol.invalid (wugi)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 25. Jun 2024, 16:46:10
Op 24/06/2024 om 3:43 schreef Ross Clark:
I don't need to explain what a typewriter is, do I?
 Crystal's historical notes:
 1714 - Henry Mill (English engineer) patents "an artificial machine or method for impressing or transcribing of lettrs, one after another, as in writing, whereby all writing whatsoever may be engrossed in paper or parchment to neat and exact as not to be distinguished from print".
 "No trace of this exists, if it was ever produced." Sounds like a pipe dream.
 23-6-1868 (Milwaukee) - A bunch of Americans, including Christopher Latham Sholes and Carlos Glidden, patented a "type-writer", which became the first commercially successful device.
(Remington started manufacturing it in 1873, with QWERTY keyboard layout.)
 He doesn't mention a date when the typewriter became obsolete.

It must be called for every now and then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8dGwa2zRw
This one I didn't know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuaeXAvU3RI
In the sixties or seventies I once saw on television a
"Concerto for 64 typewiters", computer-controlled.
It sounded nicely rhythmic from what I recall. No trace of it is to be found on the internet though.
But I did find this:
In Spe typewriter concerto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGe9qthRUXU (etc.)
Nice language, Estonian, some poetry here:
Antidolorosum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46cmRkT6BCk&t=1185s
--
guido wugi