Re: Ambrose Bierce born (24-6-1842)

Sujet : Re: Ambrose Bierce born (24-6-1842)
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 26. Jun 2024, 08:31:02

 Ar an séú lá is fiche de mí Meitheamh, scríobh Ross Clark:

 > American short story writer, journalist, poet.
 > - Civil War veteran
 > - author of a very famous story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"
 > - time and place of death unknown; last heard from in Mexico, December 1913
 >
 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Bierce
 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occurrence_at_Owl_Creek_Bridge
 >
 > - oh, and of course, the often-quoted _The Devil's Dictionary_ (originally
 > called _The Cynic's Word Book_) -- cynical, sometimes amusing, definitions of
 > ordinary words
 >
 > "
 > LANGUAGE: the music with which we charm the serpents guarding another's
 > treasure.
 > DICTIONARY: a malevolent literary device for cramping the growth of a
 > language and making it hard and inelastic. This dictionary, however, is a
 > most useful book. "

“He was of entirely English ancestry: all of his forebears came to North
America between 1620 and 1640 as part of the Great Puritan Migration.[17] He
often wrote critically of "Puritan values" and people who "made a fuss" about
genealogy.[18] He was the tenth of thirteen children, [...]”

Not a fertility rate seen much in England at the moment!

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’