(dirty) Harry Callahan -- could be Irish or Scottish

Sujet : (dirty) Harry Callahan -- could be Irish or Scottish
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Groupes : alt.usage.english sci.lang
Date : 30. Jun 2024, 22:27:16
On 6/30/2024 2:46 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
On 30/06/24 17:54, HenHanna wrote:
On 6/25/2024 3:58 PM, Peter Moylan wrote:

That reminds me. An AUE regular once asked me whether I was related
to the linguist Séamus Ó Maoláin. I contacted him, and indeed he
was from the same small region that my people came from. So there's
probably a connection, but we could find the missing links. He died
three years ago, so we likely never will.

Moylan is Irish?
 Yes. More precisely, it's the anglicisation of an Irish name. The change
happened quite a few generations ago, so there's no point in trying to
change it back.
 It comes from Irish maol=bald, so I'm probably descended from someone
who wore a tonsure.
 My maternal line is Callaghan, also a traditional Irish name. I do,
however, also have some Scottish heritage.

for a long time,  i ddin't realize that Costello  was Irish
(dirty) Harry Callahan -- could be Irish or Scottish
             >>>    Inspector Harold Francis Callahan
(born October 3, 1930), nicknamed Dirty Harry, is a fictional character and protagonist of the Dirty Harry film series, ...