Re: Anne Lister's coded diaries

Sujet : Re: Anne Lister's coded diaries
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Groupes : alt.usage.english sci.lang
Date : 04. Jul 2024, 22:53:57
On 7/4/2024 1:20 PM, HenHanna wrote:
On 7/4/2024 12:21 PM, Janet wrote:
    It's here

https://wyascatablogue.wordpress.com/wp-
content/uploads/2023/03/al-alphabet-2023v6.jpg

    Janet
  https://wyascatablogue.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/al-alphabet-2023v6.jpg
   >>>  Historical documentary looking at the life of the famous diarist from Northern England Anne Lister, who was more commonly known as Gentleman Jack.
  i'd be more interested in a TV show (drama)
about Stein (and her lover) and S.Beach (and her lover) and H.D.
   (2min Clip) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHPi2oy6vo
  Anne Lister thought that Self-Masturbation was a sin?

           Recorded March 26, 2019 on site at Shibden Hall.     Helena Whitbread sits down in the writing parlor to share how she deciphered the meaning of the unique symbols that appeared in the margins of Anne Lister's diaries, in addition to the secret crypthand coded words. Anne used the symbols to mark significant little events throughout her days.
   (Helena  Whitbread  talking)
Transcript   (auto-generated)     Search in video
(0:00)   when you are reading Anne Lister's
(0:03)     journals and almost forensic(ly) examining
(0:06)      the muscle(?) (them as I) suppose I have done over 35
years           in the beginning that you begin
you don't take much notice of what's in
the margins,
   but as time goes on    I began
         to get curious because you have a lot of
              symbols in the margins they were ...
There would be a tick
if someone visited or a tick and a C (?)
if she visited someone else
there would be [L] where she got a letter
(0:33)   Those were pretty straightforward symbols but
          they were a couple of esoteric symbols
                which it took me a while to work out and
(0:42)   I would see that there was a cross in
       the margin and then there would be a
little  in her (Krypton(!))
Crypt-Hand that said
                     it incurred a cross last night
and it took me awhile what what is she is "incurring" here
             and then it dawned on me that it was
             actually masturbation this is something
                   yes and she thought it was a great sin
(1:08)
         to perform that act    so the cross to me
           was symbolic of something   [rather]
           religious because she said
                                ["incurred a cross"]
if you incur something it means
you've brought something on yourself so that you that is bad
(1:29)
yes so [incurred a cross] to me it was a
             sign of penitence and it was really
always followed with
[please God I would pray to God to help me]
and that sort of thing so that's where she drew the line
about what was acceptable and what was
yes
sometimes it was just them if she'd had sex with anybody would be two
"kisses"(?)  last night two crosses so it
could stand(?) for either :
  having sex with
with a woman having sex with herself oh
that was both and there was really the
(2:03)
one which took me ages to find out as
well about this is a funny one
and it  was like a curly "Q" and that I realized
afterwards that that meant she had a
very very very satisfactory sexual kiss with a woman.
                          (the  interviewer  laughs)
--- a bit curious that nobody mentions  Samuel Pepys's diaries.
             lots of naughty stuff,
             coded passages
 >>> Pepys' diary was written in shorthand so could not easily be read by
           a casual ...
"as to hazer me hazer la grande cosa "
         =  [make me make the great thing (orgasm)] ...