Re: American bigots are still repeating: (Japs can't pronounce L's) -- (Japs convert L's into R's)

Sujet : Re: American bigots are still repeating: (Japs can't pronounce L's) -- (Japs convert L's into R's)
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* dev.null (HenHanna)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 06. Jul 2024, 00:08:25
Ross Clark wrote:

On 28/06/2024 2:16 p.m., HenHanna wrote:

 >   kelpie = Kerupī
 >   omelet = Omuretsu
 >   golem  = Gōremu

this Moron Adam Funk  seems to be repeating:
               Japs can't pronounce L's -- Japs convert L's into R's.
               Japs can't pronounce L's -- Japs convert L's into R's.
               Japs can't pronounce L's -- Japs convert L's into R's.

Does anyone (with some knowledge of phonetics, phonology)
     care to comment on how the    most ignorant
     of the White American bigots are still repeating this?

               Japs can't pronounce L's -- Japs convert L's into R's.
               Japs can't pronounce L's -- Japs convert L's into R's.
               Japs can't pronounce L's -- Japs convert L's into R's.

this Moron Adam Funk's   use of   [ō]  [ī]   (to indicate Long vowels)
             is also annoying...

No, I don't care to comment. I don't like your tone. Are you passing on
stuff from old Skumnutz the Jew-hater?

On 27/06/2024 1:16 a.m., Adam Funk wrote:
 > As I mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, I've been watching
 > the _Delicious in Dungeon_ anime, with Japanese sound & English
 > subtitles. I noticed that a lot of the monsters & some other bits of
 > D&D-ish jargon are clearly Japanese adaptations of English words. I
 > clearly heard similar-sounding words for "undine" & "dungeon", and
 > I've also collected translations from the list of episode titles.
 >
 > It makes sense to me that they would adapt words for monsters from
 > "Western traditions":
 >
 >   basilisk = Bajirisuku
 >   orcs = Ōku
 >   kelpie = Kerupī
 >   dryad = Doraiado
 >   cockatrice = Kokatorisu
 >   harpy = Hāpī
 >   griffin = Gurifin
 >   golem = Gōremu
 >
 > and real foods of Western origin:
 >
 >   omelet = Omuretsu

No, I don't care to comment. I don't like your tone.
------------ THis reminded me of the line
                 [I don't like your attitude]
              spoken by   Sean Bean
_______________________ is Funk often a Jewish surname?
The surname Funk can be found among people of various ethnicities, but
it's not uncommon for Jewish people to have the last name Funk. Here's a
breakdown:
German Origin: The most common origin of the surname Funk is German. It
likely originated from a nickname for a blacksmith or someone lively or
irritable. This origin wouldn't be specific to any religion.
Jewish Adoption:  Over time, some Jewish families adopted the surname
Funk for various reasons. Here are some possibilities:
Occupational Name: Similar to the German origin, Funk might have been
adopted as a surname related to the Yiddish word "funk" meaning "spark."
Patronymic Name: It could be a patronymic name derived from a female
given name like Finkle (referencing a bird) which was popular in
medieval Germany.
Ornamental Name: Less likely, it could be an ornamental name derived
from the Old German word "finkelstein" meaning "diamond."
Not Exclusive: It's important to remember that the surname Funk is not
exclusive to Jewish people. People with German or other European
backgrounds can also have this surname.
_______________________ is Funk (of Funk and Wagnels) a Jewish surname?
Unfortunately, without access to detailed genealogical information, it's
impossible to say for certain if Isaac Funk (of Funk & Wagnalls) had a
Jewish surname origin. However, here's what we can explore based on
available information:
German Origin: As mentioned earlier, Funk is a common German surname,
likely originating from a nickname for a blacksmith or someone lively.
This origin wouldn't necessarily indicate any specific religious
background.
Jewish Possibilities:  While Funk can be found among Jewish families, more information is needed to determine if Isaac Funk's specific lineage
falls under this category.  Here are some possibilities, but they
wouldn't be definitive:
Origin theories mentioned earlier (occupational name from Yiddish
"funk," patronymic name from "Finkle," or ornamental name from
"finkelstein") could be possibilities, but require further
investigation.
Location: If you know where Isaac Funk's family originated in Germany,
it might offer clues. Some regions with higher Jewish populations could
increase the chance of a Jewish origin for the surname.