Regina cæli, laetare, alleluia. -- Quia quem meruisti portare, alleluia.

Sujet : Regina cæli, laetare, alleluia. -- Quia quem meruisti portare, alleluia.
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Groupes : alt.language.latin sci.lang
Date : 07. Jul 2024, 22:19:57
The Regina Coeli (Latin for "Queen of Heaven") is a Christian prayer recited during the Easter season, replacing the Angelus prayer. Here's a breakdown of the prayer itself and its traditional usage:
The Prayer:
The Regina Coeli follows a call-and-response format, similar to the Angelus. Here's the traditional Latin version:
Priest (or Leader):             Regina cæli, laetare, alleluia.        (Queen of Heaven, rejoice, alleluia.)
Response:                        Quia quem meruisti portare, alleluia.           (For He whom you didst merit to bear, alleluia.)
               ----------   portare   looks(sounds) like
                              Drinking  and    Wearing (clothes)
Priest (or Leader):               Resurrexit sicut dixit, alleluia.             (He is risen, as He said, alleluia.)
Response:                         Ora pro nobis Deum, alleluia.         (Pray for us to God, alleluia.)
Priest (or Leader):             Gaude et laetare, Virgo Maria, alleluia.                (Rejoice and be glad, Virgin Mary, alleluia.)
Response:                          Quia Dominus vere resurrexit, alleluia.                (For the Lord is truly risen, alleluia.)
Let us pray:
               Deus, qui per resurrectionem Filii tui Domini nostri Jesu Christi,    mundum laetificare dignatus es:
praesta, quaesumus; ut per ejus Genetricem Virginem Mariam, perpetuae capiamus gaudia vitae. Per eundem Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
            (O God, who by the resurrection of Thy Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,     didst vouchsafe to gladden the world:
grant, we beseech Thee, that through His Mother the Virgin Mary, we may obtain the joys of eternal life. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.)
English Translation:            -------------  An English translation of the Regina Coeli is also commonly used:
Leader:           Queen of Heaven, rejoice, alleluia!
Response:              For He whom you didst merit to bear, alleluia!
Leader:                He is risen, as He said, alleluia!
Response:           Pray for us to God, alleluia!
Leader:                   Rejoice and be glad, Virgin Mary, alleluia.
Response:             For the Lord is truly risen, alleluia!