Re: [de]"Schnitzel"

Sujet : Re: [de]"Schnitzel"
De : jbb (at) *nospam* notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Groupes : alt.usage.english sci.lang
Date : 09. Jul 2024, 19:21:07
On 7/9/2024 5:58 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
On 09/07/24 04:32, Jeff Barnett wrote:

Actually panko has only come into general American cognition spurred
by the large number of cooking shows that promoted it on our TV.
 What is it about food porn that has made it dominate our TV programmes?
We have just one TV channel that is totally devoted to cooking, and
often I find my wife watching it when I would rather be on the news
channel. There is something about popular culture that I don't understand.
We have several such channels here. However contrary to the impression my prior messages may have made, I rarely listen to them now days. The problem is that they are all repeats and have been since the beginning of the pandemic several years ago. Even with fresh content, I only listened to select episodes where there were topics that appealed to me, i.e., topics that would expose me to techniques I didn't know about or tastes I craved.
As to what inspired others to view, I'm not quite sure but I recall one illuminating experience: I went to a gym that had a room full of exercise bikes all facing in the same direction where several TV screens were visible. One screen always had a cooking show displayed. (Each bike had a headphone plug and  dial to select which TV program was audible.) Some of used to joke that the reason we joined the gym was to undo the evil effects of too much food so that was bad TV here. One very bright person said it differently: "I use these shows to help visualize what I shall reward myself with if I keep at my exercises." True genius.
--
Jeff Barnett