Re: Peter Mark Roget born (18-1-1779)

Sujet : Re: Peter Mark Roget born (18-1-1779)
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english
Date : 14. Jul 2024, 07:32:55
On 1/17/2024 2:57 PM, Ross Clark wrote:
Yes, it's "Thesaurus Day".

Born in London of a Swiss Calvinist family.
Pronounced UK: /ˈrɒʒeɪ/ US: /roʊˈʒeɪ/  (saith Wiki).

Active in the world of science during his life, but now remembered almost entirely for the Thesaurus (1st ed. 1852).
           I once tried making a "thesaurus" of Proto-Polynesian -- well, a vocabulary arranged by semantic fields, with a more or less hierarchical structure. You can see a version of it here:

https://pollex.eva.mpg.de/category/

I found it a useful exercise, but was never satisfied with the overall scheme -- probably just because the actual mental lexicon is not in fact organized that way. But something like this is good for eliciting vocabulary from native speakers, where an alphabetical-order approach is counter-productive.
Proto-Polynesian  "thesaurus"  by D.Crystal or by R.Clark?