Re: /ru:m/ for Rome and the Gods of the Copybook Headings

Sujet : Re: /ru:m/ for Rome and the Gods of the Copybook Headings
De : jerry.friedman99 (at) *nospam* gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english
Date : 15. Jul 2024, 15:25:08
On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 12:34:09 +0000, Aidan Kehoe wrote:

  “We moved as the Spirit listed. They never altered their pace.
   Being neither cloud nor wind-borne like the Gods of the Market Place,
   But they always caught up with our progress, and presently word would
come
   That a tribe had been wiped off its icefield, or the lights had gone
out in
   Rome.”

The old pronunciation of <Rome> as /ruːm/ in English was mentioned on a
Languagehat thread the other day,
https://languagehat.com/war-words/#comment-4604383 . OED2 comments “The
pron
(ruːm), indicated by the old spelling Room(e) and by the rime with doom
etc.
was retained by some educated speakers as late as the 19th cent.”

Kipling came out with it in 1919; I read the poem at intervals and this
interval happened to be shortly after the Languagehat thread.
I don't follow, since "come" doesn't rhyme with "doom".  Kipling's rhyme
looks like an ordinary eye rhyme, though I don't know whether at some
point "come" rhymed with some pronunciation of "Rome".
--
Jerry Friedman