Re: what does [verb, neuter] mean in a (Victorian) dictionary entry?

Sujet : Re: what does [verb, neuter] mean in a (Victorian) dictionary entry?
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english
Date : 15. Jul 2024, 21:15:56
On 2/5/2024 4:48 PM, HenHanna wrote:
 in the following passage, what does [verb, neuter] mean in a (Victorian) dictionary entry?
                       Does it mean [intransitive Verb] ?

  ____________________________
Mrs. B. -- Is there anything else you’ve got to grumble about, sir?
 Cox. ---- Grumble! Mrs. Bouncer, do you possess such a thing as a dictionary?
 Mrs. B. -- No, sir.
 Cox. ---- Then I’ll lend you one—and if you turn to the letter G, you’ll find “Grumble, verb neuter—to complain without a cause.”
 Now that’s not my case, Mrs. B., and now that we are upon the subject, I wish to know how it is that I frequently find my apartment full of smoke?
  ____________________________
 bard.google.com  >>>   Ah, understanding the verb "to grumble" with the "(neuter)" marker in a Victorian dictionary entry requires some historical context. While the modern definition of "grumble" refers to complaining or muttering in discontent, its meaning in older dictionaries can be slightly different.
 Here's what the "(neuter)" marker likely signifies in this case:
 1. Intransitive Verb: In grammar, a verb is intransitive if it doesn't take a direct object. The "(neuter)" marker often indicated an intransitive verb in older dictionaries. So, "to grumble (neuter)" meant that it expressed an action without referring to anything being grumbled about.
 2. Specific Sense: Victorian dictionaries sometimes used "(neuter)" to distinguish different "senses" or meanings of a verb. It's possible that "to grumble (neuter)" referred to a specific way of grumbling, perhaps focusing on the sound or action itself rather than any specific complaint.
              ------------- is this plausible???
  3. Historical Usage: Back then, "grumble" might have had a broader meaning, encompassing not just verbal complaints but also rumbling sounds, low noises, or even physical expressions of discontent. The "(neuter)" marker could differentiate this general sense from any specific verbal complaints implied by the verb.
 Unfortunately, without access to the specific dictionary entry, it's impossible to be definitive about the exact meaning of "(neuter)" in relation to "to grumble." However, the points above provide a general understanding of how this marker was used and offer some context for interpreting the verb's meaning in a Victorian dictionary.
 If you could provide additional details about the dictionary or any surrounding information in the entry, I might be able to offer a more specific explanation.
In a Victorian dictionary entry, the bracketed notation "[verb, neuter]" likely refers to the verb's grammatical voice and not necessarily whether it's intransitive. Here's a breakdown:
Verb: This indicates the part of speech being defined.
Neuter: This most likely refers to the verb's voice, not its transitivity. In grammatical voice, "neuter" corresponds to the passive voice.
However, Victorian dictionaries might not have explicitly labeled verb voice. They might simply use examples to illustrate the usage.
Here's why "neuter" likely refers to passive voice:
Passive voice removes the agent performing the action and emphasizes the object receiving the action. This can be seen as a neutral state, hence the term "neuter."
Intransitive verbs don't take a direct object, so they wouldn't require a passive voice form.