Re: \lipsum{} ----- How did i live without it for SO long?

Sujet : Re: \lipsum{} ----- How did i live without it for SO long?
De : ud.usenetcorrespondence (at) *nospam* web.de (Ulrich D i e z)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english
Suivi-à : comp.text.tex
Date : 22. Jul 2024, 23:04:57

I guess your posting and my reply tp it is appropriate only at
comp.text.tex .

de.comp.text.tex - a German-language newsgroup while the postings are
                   written in English language.
sci.lang - the matter discussed is off topic there.
alt.usage.english - the matter discussed is off topic there.

HenHanna wrote:

On 7/22/2024 5:45 AM, Pieter van Oostrum wrote:
HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> writes:

With the document i'm working on now... LaTeX does NOT
function properly without the   \lipsum{} text stuck at the end!!!

I have no idea what you mean by this.

\lipsum{}
\lipsum{3}  ---- i don't get what the Arg. does.

            >>>  3 specifies the number of paragraphs you want filled
                 with this dummy text.  ------- really?   i've tried
                 1,3,5 there, and the result seems the same.

You are wrong. \lipsum doesn't have an argument like this. You can however give an optional argument (or two), like \lipsum[3], which typesets the 3rd paragraph of lipsum's text, or \lipsum[1-4], which typesets the first 4 paragraphs. Read the documentation for mor info.

thank   you ...

           Without the \lipsum{} text stuck at the end,
the last page (or two?) of my document would have
lots of spaces between paragraphs....

          Maybe the same effect (the fix) could be achieved by putting
\vfill  at the end.

Don't give \parskip that much stretchability?

Or use \raggedbottom instead of \flushbottom ?

(When I use \flushbottom, then I tend to set \textheight so that the
difference of \textheight and \topskip is an integer multiple of
\baselineskip.)

Sincerely

Ulrich