Re: Here's what's been happening

Sujet : Re: Here's what's been happening
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 31. Aug 2024, 19:43:35

 Ar an t-aonú lá is triochad de mí Lúnasa, scríobh Ross Clark:

 > Yes, I'm back.

Welcome back! It hasn’t been buzzing here with you away. I had idle plans to
fish out my World’s Writing Systems and summarise a chapter a week here, but,
you know, business to run, family to spend time with.

 > Highlights of my travels":
 >
 > - World's largest indoor waterfall (The Jewel, Changi Airport, Singapore)
 > - Chartres cathedral, with "Illuminations"
 > - Boat on the Medway going through Tonbridge Lock on a rainy Saturday morning
 > - Jardins de Quatre-Vents, La Malbaie, Quebec

Looks all very agreeable, I do hope there were no logistical hiccups that put
you all in misery.

 > But here's what happened in Crystal's _A Date With Language_:
 >
 > 12/7 New Conversations Day
 > 13/7 Wole Soyinka born, 1934
 > 14/7 Richard Taverner died, 1575
 > 15/7 Launch of Twitter, 2006
 > 16/7 Mark Evans born, 1919
 > 17/7 World Emoji Day
 > 18/7 John Hart became Chester Herald, 1567
 > 19/7 Alan Lomax died, 2002
 > 20/7 Deborah Schiffrin died, 2017
 > 21/7 Jonathan Miller born, 1934
 > 22/7 Sponsor's Day
 > 23/7 Yada Yada Yada Day
 > 24/7 Robert Graves born, 1895
 > 25/7 Samuel Taylor Coleridge died, 1834
 > 26/7 Esperanto Day
 > 27/7 Hilaire Belloc born, 1870
 > 28/7 Gerard Manley Hopkins born, 1844
 > 29/7 Braj Kachru died, 2016
 > 30/7 Jean Arasanayagam died, 2019
 > 31/7 Denis Diderot died, 1784
 >
 > 1/8 Yorkshire Day
 > 2/8 William S.Burroughs died, 1997
 > 3/8 P.D.James born, 1920
 > 4/8 Percy Bysshe Shelley born, 1792
 > 5/8 Toni Morrison died, 2019
 > 6/8 National Gossip Day
 > 7/8 Professional Speakers Day
 > 8/8 Terry Nation born, 1930
 > 9/8 International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples
 > 10/8 Julia Mood Peterkin died, 1962
 > 11/8 Geoff Nunberg died, 2020
 > 12/8 Paule Marshall died, 2019
 > 13/8 Joyce Carol Thomas died, 2016
 > 14/8 Thomas Sheridan died, 1788
 > 15/8 E.Nesbit born, 1858
 > 16/8 National Tell A Joke Day
 > 17/8 Meaning of 'is' Day
 > 18/8 Virginia Dare born, 1587
 > 19/8 Ogden Nash born, 1902
 > 20/8 Voyager 2 launched, 1977
 > 21/8 Lady Mary Worley Montagu died, 1762
 > 22/8 Dorothy Parker born, 1893
 > 23/8 Tom McArthur born, 1938
 > 24/8 Jorge Luis Borges born, 1899
 > 25/8 Thomas Dekker died, 1632
 > 26/8 Elizebeth Smith Friedman born, 1892
 > 27/8 Neville Alexander died, 2012
 > 28/8 Paul Grice died, 1988
 > 29/8 Sybill Marshall died, 2005
 > 30/8 John Kani born, 1943
 > 31/8 We Love Memoirs Day
 >
 > Feel free to discuss any of these (or not), to ask (or answer) the inevitable
 > "who?" "what??" "why???" questions. I may do so myself.

Diderot’s mildly interesting and more relevant than the rest; what does he say
on him?

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’