Re: Wordsworth promises to finish a Preface to the Lyrical Ballads (15/9/1800)

Sujet : Re: Wordsworth promises to finish a Preface to the Lyrical Ballads (15/9/1800)
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 16. Sep 2024, 08:28:04

 Ar an cúigiú lá déag de mí Méan Fómhair, scríobh Ross Clark:

 > "Really used by men"?
 > "The language was certainly a great deal 'plainer' than the crafted elegance of
 > many previous writers, but it was still some way from everyday rustic domestic
 > speech, as pointed out by Coleridge in his _Biographia Literaria_ a few years
 > later."

That part of the point of Lady Chatterley’s Lover, wasn’t it? That everyday
rustic domestic speech was actually documented in the mouth of the love
interest, and the associated class ructions with that.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’