Re: Samuel Johnson born (18/9/1705)

Sujet : Re: Samuel Johnson born (18/9/1705)
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 18. Sep 2024, 15:39:40

 Ar an t-ochtú lá déag de mí Méan Fómhair, scríobh Ross Clark:

 > [...] One example of a bad choice by Johnson which has been discussed here
 > (or on a.u.e.) is the very peculiar spelling of "ache". It seems to have
 > been influenced by his belief that the word was of Greek origin. Recently I
 > have come across a couple of other examples of how Johnson's etymological
 > misapprehensions influenced his spellings for the worse. Can't find them
 > right now.

Oh well, in matters of judgement you need to make a judgement, and as with
anything, occasionally it will be wrong.

 > Crystal's pick for a Johnsonian definition to exemplify "brevity, fulness and
 > perspicuity":
 >
 > Sorry
 > Grieved for something past. It is generally used of slight or casual
 > miscarriages or vexations, but sometimes of greater things. It does not imply
 > any long continuance of grief.

That’s a good choice on Crystal’s part.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’