Re: How Do We Know?

Sujet : Re: How Do We Know?
De : nospam (at) *nospam* example.net (D)
Groupes : talk.politics.guns
Date : 01. May 2024, 12:13:34
On Tue, 30 Apr 2024, Anonymous wrote:

X, formerly known as "!Jones" wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 17:57:20 -0400, in talk.politics.guns Anonymous
<anon@anon.net> wrote:

X, formerly known as "!Jones" wrote:
Definition:
A *finder of fact* shall be defined as an impartial panel of one or
more persons designated by the legislative process and sworn under
oath of office to appraise and publish as a public record the facts
underlying a particular event or legal matter.  A finder of fact
employs the scientific method
 ...which is incapable of being the sole arbiter of truth. Even when
used properly, it can't even produce consistent scientific evidence.
 Over simplifying a bit: The scientific method of hypothesis testing
means assuming the hypothesis is false, then working to reject that
assumption.  It is the basis for scientific thought and our legal
system.

The legal system is not based on the scientific method. In court,
scientific evidence is considered less reliable than eyewitness
and documentary evidence.

This seems to be true. I asked a civil law lawyer of the continental law tradition in europe, and the answer was at first "maybe, depends on the case", and after a bit of nagging, the additional thought that eyewitnesses can lie, and documents can be forged, but scientific evidence is... "scientific".
But overall, my interpretation of the delphic answer from a lawyer of that tradition is that Anonymous does seem to have a point, but that there is a reluctance to answer with a "blanket rule" answer that X is better than Y, and that all evidence is taken together when judging a case. In civil law, documents is the main category and type of evidence.