Louisiana becomes nation's 28th state with constitutional carry law on the books: 'landmark victory'

Sujet : Louisiana becomes nation's 28th state with constitutional carry law on the books: 'landmark victory'
De : maximusheadroom (at) *nospam* gmx.com (max headroom)
Groupes : talk.politics.guns
Date : 08. Mar 2024, 19:45:37
Louisiana becomes nation's 28th state with constitutional carry law on the
books: 'landmark victory'
By Emma Colton Fox News
Louisiana became the 28th state in the nation to enshrine into law the right of
its residents to carry concealed firearms without a permit.
"Today, we join 27 other states in passing Constitutional Carry. I promised the
folks of Louisiana that I would champion Constitutional Carry into law, and
within two months, I have honored that commitment," Republican Gov. Jeff Landry
told Fox News Digital.
"It's fundamentally clear - law-abiding citizens should never have to seek
government permission to safeguard themselves and their families. Today, we have
secured an incredible victory for liberty in Louisiana. I want to thank
Louisiana's NRA members for their great work."
Landry signed the NRA-backed Senate Bill 1 into law Tuesday, which allows
eligible residents 18 and older to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.
SB 1's primary author, Republican state Sen. Blake Miguez exclusively told Fox
News Digital that the governor's signature "marks a key milestone in our
enduring quest for liberty."
Gov. Jeff Landry signing constitutional carry into law. (NRA)
"Today, Louisiana asserts its unwavering commitment to the Second Amendment by
enacting Constitutional Carry, a move that embodies the absolute right of
law-abiding citizens to bear arms. Governor Landry's pivotal role, combined with
the steadfast support from legislators across both chambers, has been crucial in
reaffirming our dedication to the rights of law-abiding citizens. Our success
owes much to the tireless efforts of NRA members and Second Amendment defenders
throughout the state, whose advocacy has been indispensable," Miguez said.
Supporters of the legislation in the state say constitutional carry will drive
down crime, as armed law-abiding Americans are better equipped to fend off
criminals and defend themselves, with some GOP lawmakers in the state recently
arguing "evil is everywhere" and "police alone can not protect us."
Violent crime skyrocketed in Louisiana's top tourist city of New Orleans, for
example, in 2022, when the city recorded a homicide rate of 70 per 100,000
people. Violent crimes have since dropped in the city.
Landry, who was sworn in as governor just this year, has urged the passage of
tough-on-crime policies to further drive down crime in the state, and he vowed
on the campaign trail last year to pass constitutional carry if elected
governor.
The law comes just 57 days after Landry was sworn into office following
Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards' two terms in office. NRA-ILA Executive
Director Randy Kozuch touted that Landry made a campaign pledge to pass the
legislation and "remarkably delivered on this promise within a mere 57 days in
office."
"This victory is a shining example of what can be achieved when freedom-loving
legislators in both the House and the Senate work in unison. Our deepest
gratitude goes to Sen. Blake Miguez and House Speaker Pro Tempore Mike Johnson
for their pivotal roles in spearheading this life-saving legislation and
expeditiously moving it to the Governor's desk," Kozuch said.
"The NRA celebrates Louisiana's momentous step in becoming the 28th state to
enact the pivotal NRA Constitutional Carry legislation. This swift and decisive
action, a testament to the NRA's unwavering advocacy, empowers Louisianians to
exercise their Second Amendment rights free from government permission,
solidifying our right to self-defense," Kozuch added in comment to Fox.
Both Kozuch and NRA Interim Executive Vice President and CEO Andrew Arulanandam
joined Landry in Baton Rouge for the signing on Tuesday.
Opponents of the bill argued that the law could make the state less safe and
drive up the rates of those killed by guns. Louisiana's Fraternal Order of the
Police spoke out against the bill, while the Louisiana Sheriffs Association did
not take a position, local media reported.
Louisiana's House Speaker Pro Tempore Mike T. Johnson, however, argued earlier
this year that residents of the state are "fearful" of even running errands due
to criminals on the streets, and that the law will offer "law-abiding citizens
their God-given right" to defend themselves.
Johnson added in a comment to Fox News Digital that Landry's signature on the
bill marks "a landmark victory."
"The Second Amendment's 27 words underscore that law-abiding citizens should
never require government permission to exercise their right to bear arms-a
principle that Louisiana has proudly reaffirmed today. I extend my deepest
thanks to Governor Landry for signing this critical bill, as well as to my
colleagues in both the Louisiana House and Senate. Most importantly, I express
my heartfelt gratitude to NRA members and gun owners across Louisiana for their
unwavering dedication to freedom," he said.
Residents who wish to obtain a permit may still do so in the state. The bill
also restricts residents from carrying in certain areas, such as schools and the
state Capitol. The Pelican State is already an open carry state, meaning
eligible residents can openly carry without a permit.
Louisiana now joins a list of 27 other states across the nation that have
constitutional carry laws on the books. The U.S. officially became a
constitutional carry majority nation last spring, when Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis
signed his state's version of permitless carry.
Arulanandam told Fox News Digital that Louisiana's passage of the law is
testament to "the unwavering dedication of NRA members and the resolve of
leaders like Gov. Landry and pro-self-defense legislators."
"These men and women champion our Second Amendment rights and help ensure that
law-abiding Americans have the means to protect themselves, their loved ones,
and their communities," Arulanandam said. "This rapid 57-day turnaround is a
powerful message that NRA members are not just participating in the fight for
gun rights; they are leading it. Rest assured, we are on a mission to bring NRA
Constitutional Carry to every state in the nation, one victory at a time."
The law will officially take effect on the 4th of July this year.
The full list of states with constitutional carry laws now includes Alabama,
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas,
Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New
Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah,
Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/louisiana-becomes-nations-28th-state-constitutional-carry-laws-books-landmark-victory