On Theodicy, or: "Is Greg Abbott Really a Complete Moron?"

Sujet : On Theodicy, or: "Is Greg Abbott Really a Complete Moron?"
De : x (at) *nospam* y.com (X, formerly known as \"!Jones\")
Groupes : talk.politics.guns
Date : 15. Jul 2024, 17:00:52
On Theodicy, or: "Is Greg Abbott Really a Complete Moron?"

Greg Abbott, with whose governorship Texas is currently blessed,
thinks that God, in His infinite wisdom, performed an obvious miracle
that protected Donald Trump from an attempted neutralization by
altering the trajectory of the bullet.  Of course, from this, it
follows that God chose not to protect Corey Comperatore from
(possibly) the same bullet.  (I believe this is called: "The question
of theodicy" raised by Leibniz, et. al. ... C.S. Lewis also comes to
mind.)  According to Greg Abbott, these events suggest a holy
anointing of Donald Trump because He (God) chose to perturb the path
of the projectile.

I am not a believer in miracles per se; to me, these smack of magic
tricks.  For example: I read what we call "The Feeding of the Five
Thousand" (aka: "The Multiplication of Fish and Loaves") found in all
of the biblical gospel accounts (Matthew 14:13-21; Mark 6:31-44; Luke
9:12-17; John 6:1-15) as a miracle in the human heart wherein the food
was already present.  I argue that this is actually a greater miracle
than making more fish suddenly appear.  *Long John Silver's* (fast
food) feeds more people breaded fish every day, and we don't think
it's a miracle.

More likely, we saw just another mindless mass shooting/suicide as we
have seen with dismal (and increasing) regularity in the past several
decades.  On 7/13/2024, the day of the rally shooting, at least 89
other Americans also died by mindless gunfire... other than the fact
that a bullet nicked Donald Trump's ear, it was just a typical day in
the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave... a freedom-loving
American on a roof with his assault rifle!  Crook was a typical armed
citizen practicing his right to keep and bear arms... then he pointed
his assault rifle into a crowded bleacher and opened fire, as they do
regularly in the US.