He was a *Volunteer* Firefighter

Sujet : He was a *Volunteer* Firefighter
De : x (at) *nospam* y.com (X, formerly known as \"!Jones\")
Groupes : talk.politics.guns
Date : 01. Aug 2024, 18:02:04
Corey Comperatore was a *volunteer* firefighter in his community.  A
"volunteer" firefighter is to sworn firefighters and EMS professionals
as an *auxiliary* police officer is to sworn peace officers.  If I say
I'm an auxiliary police officer, kudos to me; however, I cannot simply
drop the modifier: "auxiliary" and claim I'm, therefore, a police
officer.  Further, volunteer fire fighting organizations are loosely
organized, and anybody may be "chief"... chiefs are usually, but not
always, elected by the participants.

When they say that Corey Comperatore was a firefighter, it is a
misstatement because a *firefighter* is a sworn, certified office.  If
Mr. Comperatore had said that, he would have committed a misdemeanor
in most states... but, since he's dead, what difference does it make?