Re: Applying the Scientific Method...

Sujet : Re: Applying the Scientific Method...
De : x (at) *nospam* y.com (X, formerly known as \"!Jones\")
Groupes : talk.politics.guns
Date : 08. Sep 2024, 00:20:19
If you have a medical emergency, stop reading, log off, and dial 911!
Can you tell us the meaning of "correlation" without resorting to
Google?

You first.  Let's see your evidence that that gun proliferation and
gun violence tend to have a positive correlation.  It should be
easy for you since you claim the proof is as obvious as gravity.

I'm quite certain that I never used the term "proof".  I have retired
from editing research papers; however, when I did so, I assure you
that suggesting that your paper would *prove* something was the
fastest way to end up in my rejection bin.  Outside of theoretical
mathematics, nothing is ever proven... you can't even prove gravity.

I can define correlation, though.

*Every* set of points has some coefficient of correlation.  The gold
standard of correlational studies linking the presence of guns as a
risk factor of violence was "Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for
Homicide in the Home" (October 7, 1993) New England Journal of
Medicine, VOL. 329 NO. 15, Kellermann, A.  The last time I looked at
its citation index was almost 20 years ago, and it already had several
thousand scholarly citations in peer-reviewed publications.  I know;
you don't *like* it... heh!  (Neither did the NRA, who spent millions
to suppress it.)  There are other studies, but that one stands well
above the rest.

In your court, sir.