Re: Applying the Scientific Method...

Sujet : Re: Applying the Scientific Method...
De : me4guns (at) *nospam* verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net (Scout)
Groupes : talk.politics.guns
Date : 09. Sep 2024, 15:55:27
"X, formerly known as "!Jones"" <x@y.com> wrote in message news:sdljdjt50v45qk3nrpiq0s3he6mjumooae@4ax.com...
To apply the scientific thought process to a question, the intelligent
person forms a hypothesis (H), an example of which might be:
"Obtaining a gun will positively effect my personal safety and that of
my family."  The next step is to form the *null hypothesis* (H-0)
which is the compliment of H: "It cannot be shown that owning a gun
will positively effect my personal safety..."  I should point out here
that H-0 does not contradict H because H-0 includes a null (unknown)
component.
Let's stop here and point out that for the most part this is based on the false notion that a firearm is obtained ONLY for personal/family protection.
It's like saying you would buy a car only to drive an injured family member to the hospital.
Indeed about the only guns I can see that this simplistic analysis would apply to are those few obtained, and used, only with the intent of self defense. The primary example of these would be those purchased for solely for personal carry.
Further, you attempt to assert what others do with THEIR guns.. should in any manner govern whether society should allow someone with no criminal history to legally buy a gun primarily for self defense.
It's like saying you shouldn't own matches or a lighter because they are used by arsonists.
Or you buy a car just to transport illegal drugs with it...
No, sir, you can not transpose crimes by others onto the intended legal possession and use of something.
Otherwise, we might as well censor your speech because some people use it for criminal activities.
In short.. Should a criminal's activities dictate what law abiding adults can legally do?
So while your 'logic tree' sounds nice, it's all based on the pile of horse shit at it's roots.
Otherwise, I have a ankle monitor and 24 hour home surveillance for you.. I mean if it stops just one criminal.. then isn't it worth it for you to give up all your personal freedoms and privacy and live stream your every activity to the world?
that is the essence of your whole argument.