Re: Give all the drug users and addicts free drugs!

Sujet : Re: Give all the drug users and addicts free drugs!
De : blissInSanFrancisco (at) *nospam* mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy alt.politics.republicans talk.politics.guns
Suivi-à : talk.politics.drugs
Date : 17. Sep 2024, 00:04:01
On 9/16/24 10:01, Scout wrote:
  "Bobbie Sellers" <blissInSanFrancisco@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message news:vc9i8e$2ti7j$1@dont-email.me...
On 9/16/24 01:29, Progress wrote:
If they OD and kill themselves, there won't be a drug problem.

We could solve this whole drug abuse issue in 72 hours and have plenty of
materials for biofuel or fertilizer.

Let's get it done.

That is about the dumbest solution to a real problem that
I have read. It goes right along with the Filipino dictator who
had dealers shot on arrest and mere users jailed.
The assumption on your part is that the drugs of choice
are deadly.  Most are not. The purvyers of illegal drugs have
made them mode deadly by dilution with Fentanyl. If pharmeceutical
companies were to supply the drugs they would provide measured
doses which is how before the Harrison Narcotic Act of 1917
people addicted dure to illness or war wounds were treated.
Most of these folks worked for a living at a trade or profession.
the HNA/1917 created the class of junkies.
 Well since the drugs serve absolutely NO benefit.. there is absolutely no reason to contribute to getting people hooked on them.
Na, I see absolutely no reason why such additive drugs should be either legalized or normalized.
The drugs relieve pain. That is why Fentanyl is a good anesthetic.
It was decided to criminalize drug and drug users over 100 years ago
when the Harrison Narcotic Act of 1917 was passed. Exactly what the
reasoning behind criminalizing war veterans and people suffering from
very painful diseases is difficult to figure out at this distance.
Part of it was racism or xenophobia because the Chinese were using
smoked opium and laws against were passed in San Francisco. The
Chinese and some European derived people smoke opium because they
were in pain.  Cocaine, a stimulant and very habituating drug was
outlawed a few years later. It was said that heroin had no medical
use in the USA but in the UK it was available in an oral preparation
to deal with severe pain.
However the fact remains that drugs that kill pain were
criminalized in the USA possibly for the same defective reasoning
that drove the Prohibition of Alcohol.
Outlawing murder and robbery makes some sense but outlawing
pain relief is sadistic in my humble opinion.
By the way I have used opiate drugs as presecribed at several
points in my 87 years and have never been addicted to them so I suppose
that they are not as addictive as presumed.
You should read some real history of the use of drugs in the
USA and in the Colonies that became the USA. First of course was
alcohol and the Puritans were habitually drunken. Then there is caffeine
in Tea and in Coffee.  Coffee houses by the way were dens of rebels
We do not know exactly why Geo.Washington, prominent slave owner and
1st President of the Republic, grew hemp but i think it was not strictly
for rope and paper. We know from the accounts of Fitz Hugh Ludlow that
cannabis was used for the relief of pain and ennui before the Civil
War. Oh yes tobacco was introduced to the world from the Colonies so we
were and are a drug-based state and while nicotine is a short acting
stimulant it is highly addictive. The big noise about tobacco smoking
and nicotine was cancer of the lungs and Upper Respiratory System but
in actuality it messes with the circulatory system as well.

bliss - who when younger educated herself about these
matters since she is a retired and very tired nurse(LVN).
--
b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com