Re: Radians Or Degrees?

Sujet : Re: Radians Or Degrees?
De : mitchalsup (at) *nospam* aol.com (MitchAlsup1)
Groupes : comp.lang.c comp.arch
Date : 14. Mar 2024, 19:15:11
Steven G. Kargl wrote:

sin(x) is not sinpi(x).  The conversion factor that you're missing
is M_PI as in sinpi(x) = sin(M_PI*x).
When I faced this kind of accuracy/precision problem in my HW transcendentals,
To get a sufficiently correct reduced argument I had to multiply the fraction
of x by a 2/pi number selected such that the HoB was aligned to 2 (quadrant)
and the multiplied result had 51+53 bits of precision so that up to 51 leading
bits of the reduced argument (after the quadrant bits) could be skipped if 0.
This required 3 uses of the multiplier tree one produced the leading bits::
Lead    bits |/
Middle  bits / /
trail   bits /|
which were arranged |/ /| into a single 104 bit (minimum) product. My current
implementation uses 128 bits. And my polynomial evaluation uses 58-bit argu-
ments (min, 64-bit current) at each iteration. And I still only get 0.502
(58-bit:: 0.5002 64-bit) precision.
Payne and Hanek argument reduction--because it does not have access to the intermediate bits, needs 4 multiplies instead of 2 and very careful arithmetic
to preserve accuracy. I can do this in 2 trips through the multiplier array
(patented)
So, I used 159-bits of 2/pi in 2 multiplies over 2 trips through the array
and get perfect argument (DP) reduction in 4 cycles. Payne ad Hanek use 256-
bits of DP FP operands and 30+ instruction to do the same thing.
My multiplier tree is cut into 2 sections (just like one would do for dual SP)
but here I feed the top 2/pi bits into the left hand side and the bottom 2/pi bits into the right hand side so both get computed simultaneously; the subsequent
cycle multiplies by the middle bits of 2/pi. The 2/pi table is indexed by exponent.