Re: "stack smashing detected"

Sujet : Re: "stack smashing detected"
De : 643-408-1753 (at) *nospam* kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Groupes : comp.lang.c
Date : 14. Jun 2024, 06:06:21
On 2024-06-13, Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> wrote:
On 13/06/2024 09:54, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

valgrind is too hardcore for me (for the hobby C programs I write
anyway).

What does "too hardcore" mean?  It's very simple to use and catches more
problems than gcc's runtime checks can.  Compile with -g (so you get
line number information) and then run under valgrind:

valgrind is my favourite little utility. It's easy to use, and flushes
out bugs very effectively. Unfotunately the Mac won't let me run it

That's one of the benefits of writing cross-platform.  Not every bug
can be flushed out on every platform, whether by circumstances/fluke
or availability of tooling (including from the toolchain or external).

A program that run son Linux and Mac, and is checked with Valgrind on
Linux, gives me a bit more confidence than a Mac-only similar program.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca