Re: Meanings Of AI Koans

Sujet : Re: Meanings Of AI Koans
De : ldo (at) *nospam* nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Groupes : comp.lang.lisp
Date : 21. Apr 2024, 11:39:38

On 2024-04-21, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

I wonder if either of them had heard of genetic algorithms?

The same would still apply, wouldn't it? If I'm interpreting the example
correctly, the matter here is mistaking randomness for lack of bias or
influence.

Genetic algorithms take a bit of randomness and apply filtering to it.
This is supposed to mimic the mechanism of biological evolution, where you
have the randomness of mutation (the inevitable errors in the gene-copying
process) filtered through natural selection.

Randomness is necessary, but not sufficient; the original koan assumes
that’s all there is. Kind of like the creationists, really.