Re: on the evolution of lisp

Sujet : Re: on the evolution of lisp
De : jshem (at) *nospam* yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Groupes : comp.lang.lisp
Date : 17. Jun 2024, 02:11:22
HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> writes:

On 2/2/2024 7:52 AM, Julieta Shem wrote:

[...]

(*) Alan Bawden
Hey, Alan!  I didn't know who you were.  (I like not to know who I'm
talking to.)  The document spoke very highly of you.  It first mentions
you were in the Commmon Lisp Group and eventually calls you a
backquote-meister.  Impressive!
   The backquote syntax was particularly powerful when nested.  This
   occurred primarily within macro-defining macros; because such were
   coded primarily by wizards, the ability to write and interpret nested
   backquote expressions was soon surrounded by a certain mystique.  Alan
   Bawden of MIT acquired a particular reputation as backquote-meister in
   the early days of the Lisp Machine.
We also learned about synctatic closures.  Very cool.

      yes, he is the backquote-meister  --- Checkout his paper on it.

(It's great to have the experts around.)

There are so many papers.  I suppose you mean

  Bawden, Alan. ``Quasiquotation in Lisp.'' PEPM, 1999.

Thanks.