bullshit bullshit bullshit (Re: Ok I made a joke, sorry)

Sujet : bullshit bullshit bullshit (Re: Ok I made a joke, sorry)
De : janburse (at) *nospam* fastmail.fm (Mild Shock)
Groupes : comp.lang.prolog
Date : 04. Aug 2024, 00:14:45
David Woodruff Smith writes:
 > And "cognitive science" has recently pursued
 > the relation of intentional mental activities
 > to neural processes in the brain.
I call this bullshit. He confuses cognitive
science with some sort of Neuroscience and/or
connectionist approaches.
Some broader working definition
of cognitive science is for example:
 > Cognitive science is an interdisciplinary
 > science that deals with the processing of
 > information in the context of perception,
 > thinking and decision-making processes,
 > both in humans and in animals or machines.
You see how much philosophy is behind.
David Woodruff Smith published the
paper in 2003? I don't think there are any
excuses for his nonsense definition.
Especially if one writes about pure form.
This is so idiotic.
Mild Shock schrieb:
 BTW: Friedrich Ueberweg is quite good
and funny to browse, he reports relatively
unfiltered what we would nowadays call
 forms of "rational behaviour", so its a little
pot purry, except for his sections where he
explains some schemas, like the Aristotelan
 figures, which are more pure logic of the form.
And peng you get a guy talking pages and
pages about pure and form:
 "Pure" logic, ontology, and phenomenology
David Woodruff Smith
https://www.cairn.info/revue-internationale-de-philosophie-2003-2-page-21.htm   But the above is a from species of philosophy
that is endangered now. Its predator are
abstractions on the computer like lambda
 calculus and the Curry Howard isomorphism. The
revue has become an irrelevant cabarett, only
dead people would be interested in, like
 may father, grandfather etc...
 Mild Shock schrieb:

My impression Cognitive Science was never
Bayesian Brain, so I guess I made a joke.

The time scale, its start in 1950s and that
it is still relative unknown subject,

would explain:
- why my father or mother never tried to
   educated me towards cognitive science.
   It could be that they are totally blank
   in this respect?

- why my grandfather or grandmothers never
   tried to educate me towards cognitive
   science. Dito It could be that they are totally
   blank in this respect?

- it could be that there are rare cases where
   some philosophers had already a glimps of
   cognitive science. But when I open for
   example this booklet:

System der Logic
Friedrich Ueberweg
Bonn - 1868
https://philpapers.org/rec/UEBSDL

   One can feel the dry swimming that is reported
   for several millennia.  What happened in the
   1950s was the possibility of computer modelling.