Re: originator whitelist?

Sujet : Re: originator whitelist?
De : V (at) *nospam* nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 04. May 2024, 20:09:24
bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

is there a way to build a white-list of phone numbers and have calls
from any other number silently dropped?

Set a global ringtone (the default one).  Could be a silent ringtone, or
one that is much more quiet to eliminate jarring you from whatever
you're current doing.  Then, in each contact, assign the ringtone you
want for that contact.

I have a global and quiet ringtone for all calls.  For contacts, I have
all of them assigned to a much louder ringtone, except for a couple for
emergency use that play the very loud siren ringtone.  You could have
different ringtones for different contacts, but I generally just use a
louder ringtone for all my contacts.  Tis a bitch, though, having to
edit every contact to change the ringtone.  Luckily, I only have about
20 contacts.  I don't put everyone that has called me into my contacts
list.

Does "dropped" mean you want the call rejected, or just not interrupt
you with a ringtone (which then has the caller hangup or go to
voicemail)?  My bank and pharmacy, for example, are not in my contacts
list, but I do want their calls should they leave voicemail.  My doctor
calls are from an everchanging list of numbers at the hospital or
clinic, and I'm not listing everyone of them (which I wouldn't know,
anyway, until after getting a call from all of their numbers).

Richmond mentioned using exceptions in the DND feature.  My old Android
8 phone doesn't let me list specific exclusions.  Its choices for call
DND priorities are:

Calls from:
- No one.
- Everyone.
- Contacts.
- Favorites.

Mine is set to Contacts.  However, I don't use DND to filter out calls
by the caller.  I only use it to schedule when DND is active, like when
I'm sleeping.  So, the DND Mode is "Priority only" which means only my
contacts can wake me with a call.  Luckily my contacts rarely (maybe
never) call me while I'm sleeping since they're probably sleeping, too.

As I recall, DND does not reject incoming calls.  It simply doesn't have
your phone make noise: no ringtone, no vibrate.  The caller hears the
rings until the voicemail service picks up the call whereupon the call
can decide to hang up or leave a message.  If they leave a message, you
should get a notification about a new voicemail.

There are times outside of sleeping hours when I do want to know I got a
call from a non-contact caller, especially if I'm waiting for the call.
So, instead of ignoring non-contact callers to push them to voicemail, I
simply use a soft ringtone with no vibrate (the global defaults) for
non-contact callers.  For my contacts, I configure their contact records
to use a louder ringtone.  But the DND feature is another possibility.