Re: Android 11: App polling interval is not 15 minutes minimum?

Sujet : Re: Android 11: App polling interval is not 15 minutes minimum?
De : V (at) *nospam* nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 09. Mar 2024, 20:14:44
DAMN.  Subject was meant to say "now 15", not "not 15".  "t" and "w" are
2 keys apart, so not a fumble finger failure.  Sometimes my fingers
don't do what I want them to do.
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

When I check IMAP PUSH, it only works in clients on the Inbox folder.
If the server moved a new message into the Junk folder, PUSH isn't used
on that folder for the client to see a new message show up there.  I can
get 2FA codes via e-mail that end up in the Junk folder, and those codes
expire
 When I ran my own Dovecot server, IMAP worked properly, K9 was set to never poll, and set for push notify on 1st class folders, inbox was a 1st class folder for dislay and push purposes, I got 'instant' notifications, life was good.
 Two things have changed since then, I use MS365 instead of Dovecot, and Android has got more involved in battery saving.  I allow K9 to be active all the time (it shows as such on the notification shade with the warning it may eat battery).
 Notifications often seem to not be "instant" now, can't put my finger on when it changed, I can frequently open my phone to see that it has received new email within the past couple of minutes, yet I didn't get a notification.
 Other times picking up the phone seems to trigger it to check email (even though polling is off) and there are new messages it hasn't noticed until then.
 I *want* it to notify me ASAP, I don't care if it eats more battery.
Same with me: I want it when I need it.  If more battery power gets
consumed, that's the cost of using the phone.  I've considered the
battery saving mode, but it's too much of a nuisance.
Guess it's more correct to say IMAP IDLE than IMAP Push.  When you
connect via telnet, and I think even before you login (so not having to
figure out how to do OAUTH2 from the command line), you can issue the
capability command to get back a keyword list showing what features the
server supports.  If IDLE is listed, the server supports IMAP IDLE.  Not all mail servers support IDLE.  That's why some K9 users complained
about its latest version having 15 minutes minimum for a polling
interval, because without IDLE then polling has to be used.  The answer
was Android 11 (might've even been foisted on 10) now had a 15-minute
minimum polling interval for battery power saving.  Geesh, they added
the battery saver mode, so just add an option there regarding polling
interval just like you can add exceptions to what apps battery saving
won't get enforced upon.
E-mail was not intended to be an instant communications venue.  That's
what chat clients are for.  However, way too many senders assume
guaranteed delivery with e-mail (not true), assume it is secure although
not encrypted (like the 2FA security theater crap using insecure e-mail
pr insecure SMS to send codes to secure a login), assume delivery is
immediate (wrong), assume e-mail servers never get too busy, are down
due to maintenance or failure, the server is always reachable, and
assume their messages will never run afoul of server-side filtering,
assume cell phones are always powered up ready to go, and assume the
cell phone is near enough to a cell tower to get the text and the nearby
tower also contracts with the carrier the user contracts on their phone.