Re: Clear the cache of an android Cellphone (Moto G Pure)

Sujet : Re: Clear the cache of an android Cellphone (Moto G Pure)
De : robin_listas (at) *nospam* es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 18. Mar 2024, 15:47:44
On 2024-03-18 05:21, VanguardLH wrote:
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
On 2024-03-18 02:42, knuttle wrote:
I know how to clear the cache for each app on my cellphone.   I believe
that if I do a reset of my phone, all of the caches area cleared.

Is there some why to clear the caches of all the apps on my cellphone
with out resetting the phone?

ie Automate the routine to clean each app's cache, so that would go down
the list clearing each app's cache.

The caches on the phone while individually are small collectively take
up a good chunk of the phones memory.

There are tools for freeing up space that do that. I don't remember name
just this instant; the one I remember is extinct, they did something bad
are were banned. ES something.
 ES Explorer.  Spyware.  Also click fraud: their app pretended the user
clicked on an ad, so they could generate click-through revenue.
Right.
It was a very good tool before they did that. I still have it installed in some old phone or tablet. I don't understand why they did not revert what they did bad to continue business.
But there must be some other similar tools that do that cleanup. I have another one, but it is part of a brand customization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ES_File_Explorer
 Apparently you can use ADB to issue a command to clear all app caches:
 adb shell pm trim-caches <release>
 where <release> is how much you want to free up.  I use ABD rarely, so
I'm not sure if trim-caches takes an argument to free all app caches.  I
suppose you could specify a huge value that would encompass all of it.
Older versions of Android let you go to Android settings -> Storage ->
Cached Data to let you clear all app caches at once.  Google giveth and
taketh.
 Unless you don't care about saving on battery and retrieval time,
caching will require an app to re-retrieve everything it retrieved
before.  The app will rebuild its cache, and that consumes time (you
wait for the retrieve), bandwidth, and consumes more power.  Unless an
app misbehaves (corrupted cache files, incompatible server-side changes,
buggy apps, or after an OS update), there is no reason to flush app
caches unless you really are running short on storage space.
Right.
Actually, recent Android versions do an automatic cleanup of apps that have not been used for a number of months. I have to go round ALL apps to disable this feature. It is a nuisance having to configure them again when I do need them. And some of them are tools that do things I need in the background, not having to open them for months.

App caching is not in memory.  It is space in storage.  Alas, most phone
specs reference storage as memory confusing their users.  You might see
something like:
 Memory 32GB 4GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM
 The first number is for storage space.  The 2nd number is RAM (memory).
Caches do not consume RAM.  They consume storage space.
Right.
Cheers, Carlos.