Re: Clear the cache of an android Cellphone (Moto G Pure)

Sujet : Re: Clear the cache of an android Cellphone (Moto G Pure)
De : robin_listas (at) *nospam* es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 19. Mar 2024, 00:00:56
On 2024-03-18 20:31, VanguardLH wrote:
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

[ES Explorer] was a very good tool before they did that. I still have
it installed in some old phone or tablet. I don't understand why they
did not revert what they did bad to continue business.
 I had it for a short time.  I dropped it when I found they were spying
(collecting logistics on usage) and the click-through fraud.  They did
the same with their other products.  Someone there got greedy, and
thought they wouldn't get caught.  Guess they didn't want to go through
the entire submission process along with proving they were good after
being bad to get their stuff back in the Play Store.
It is the destruction of a company, unless they came back under another name. But I do not remember offhand a tool set that is as popular as ES was back in the day.

 Some app authors of adware don't even provide a paid version to get rid
of the ads.  Sales of the payware version might be dismal compared to
generating click-through revenue.  ES Explorer apparently decided to
covertly generate click-through revenue.  Did they have a payware
version?
I don't remember.

Actually, recent Android versions do an automatic cleanup of apps that
have not been used for a number of months.
 The cleanup is disruptive.
Yes, it is.

 It removes permissions under the guise of
increasing security.  I don't often use my chainsaw, but I still need it
years later when another tree falls, or I have to trim a tree.  I don't
want some security-waving asshole removing some part that I have to
figure out what it was to reenable my chainsaw.  When permissions are
removed, yeah, you get a short blurb on what permissions were removed,
but later when you want to use the app you can only hope the app prompt
you to reinstate the correct permissions that Android (actually Google
Play) removed.
Each time I see that popup, I review the apps it says, and verify that the switch to disable the cleanup is done. Initially the list is long, then the list starts with one or two apps that I have to toggle the switch, and then the rest are ok, disabled. I can ignore the rest of the list.

I have to go round ALL apps to disable this feature.
 They don't let you configure the Play Store app to stop this rude
behavior.
No, they don't.

 Yep, you have to go into the settings of Play Store to drill
through every app listed as having permissions removed to reinstate
those permissions - but WHICH permissions?  Will the app regain its
needed permissions that it go upon install if you just load the app?
Yes, the app will complain when you try to use it. And possibly some config or status will also be lost because the cache was deleted.
--
Cheers, Carlos.