Re: app to read a book to me on an airplane

Sujet : Re: app to read a book to me on an airplane
De : ithinkiam (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Chris)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 23. Apr 2024, 15:53:28
On 12/04/2024 18:08, micky wrote:
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 12 Apr 2024 10:29:37 -0400, Tim Slattery
<TimSlattery@utexas.edu> wrote:

Android Owner <android@google.com> wrote:

These are all epub books in a variety of epub formats, not just (text) PDF.
Most are in mobi but some are azw/azw3 (only a few are in (text) PDF).

For epub books (not sure about mobi) use Favorite Book Reader (FBR).
The free version is ad-free, does not use the internet, and does an
excellent job with epub and epub3. The paid version is $5 and adds the
ability to read PDFs, and some other features. The paid version had a
text to speech capability. I haven't used it (I'd rather read the
book),
 I gave up reading books for Lent.  Is Lent over yet? I forget what year
I did this.   But I too would prefer reading to listening, only because
my mind wanders and it's easier to reread what was missed than rewind to
the right spot.   OTOH, on an airplane, isn't there vibration that would
make looking at a page harder and more tiring, especially as time wore
on.
Maybe on a Boeing jet that has lost some critical part of the airframe, but in general modern aircraft are very smooth.