Re: Samsung Wallet vs Google Pay

Sujet : Re: Samsung Wallet vs Google Pay
De : hugybear (at) *nospam* gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 05. May 2024, 11:12:16
On 05.05.24 10:56, Jim the Geordie wrote:
In article <1r4ud12ymj011.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, V@nguard.LH says...

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

Where in the world are you that waiters don't have hand held card
scanners.
Do you really allow a waiter to wander out of your site with your
debit/credit card?

Haven't eaten out much, have you.  The vast majority of restaurants I
visit bring you a padded wallet with the tab sheet inside.  You put your
card in the wallet.  The waiter comes back from there terminal with the
actual bill inside the wallet (2 copies: 1 for restaurant, 1 for your
copy).  The bill has already been registered at their terminal, but you
still need to add a tip, and sign the bill.

I'm talking about restaurants where you're sitting at tables, and a
waiter comes to the table.  Not fast food joints where you walk up to
counter to place an order, and wait until the food shows up in a bag.  I
haven't been to fast food joint in decades.  I got sick afterward.  Even
when traveling, I look for a restaurant than visit some drive-up crap
food joint.  Might as well grab a stale sandwich and past-due milk at
the gas shop when refueling.

Haven't you ever eaten at a non-fast food restaurant, or elsewhere than,
say, a buffet where you grab the food with a cash register is at the end
of the line to total up your picks?  Some restaurants have waiters that
have readers to use your phone, but that is definitely not the norm
here.  In fact, it happens so rarely that I'd be surprised the waiter
had a reader to use with my phone.  I get seated, wait to order, order,
wait for the food, eat the food, the waiter brings over a wallet with
the summary tab when I'm done eating, I put the card in the wallet, they
pickup the wallet to ring up the sale at their terminal, and bring back
the bill for me to add a tip and to sign.

Stop eating crap at the fast food or buffet joints.  Start going to real
restaurants.  Then you'll have experience as to which ones have waiters
with readers, and which have you give them a card.  In my region, the
card is the norm method of payment.  In fact, I could wave my phone all
over in the air, but no one brings a reader to my table.

You are clearly not eating out in England.
I am surprised that you have not had your card cloned by now.

On the Continent the payment process in a restaurant never requires to
give away the credit or the debit card. Not even be touched by a service
person. Just  hold it to the mobil terminal without any direct contact
or use the internal (chip) card reader with bigger amounts.

--
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)