Re: Google 2SV without mobile number

Sujet : Re: Google 2SV without mobile number
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 10. May 2024, 16:37:26
Frank Slootweg wrote on 10 May 2024 14:07:42 GMT :

In a normal home environment, and therefore not in a corporate managed
computer, does this new information mean anyone at home can now start a new
Google email account without needing to have a phone number on file?

How?

  Andy's reference is about enabling 2SV in an existing Google Account,
not about creating a new account.

Oh. I missed that. Thank you.
I'm allergic to 2SV/2FA as I feel it's an obvious invasion of privacy.

Much appreciated the clarification as Andy always has good information
(so I wanted to be clear that I understood what he was informing us of).

  Creating a new Google Account without a phone number has always been
possible, at least it still was on October 23 when I last tested this
(probably/possibly (also) for you).

Everyone says that but I'm no technical slouch and it *always* asks for a
second verification, whether a phone or an email, and I give it neither.

Hence, it refuses to set up the account. I'll try again later to screenshot
it for the team such that my experience has been GMail always requires it.

  But it did require to specify a birthday.

That's not a problem as any given day is easily 'bogused.

For example, I have a specific historical event that I use as my birthday.
That way, if I forget it, I can always look it up.

Same with my passwords which are the last letters of the first set of words
to famous songs (which I do so that I can look it up if I forget).

For example, Cher sang "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" which turns into
something like "!!(yyten)" as a password, although sometime numbers are
required (such as in the chorus to the Beatle's "Revolution 9").

  I specified a birthday, set Gender to "Rather don't say" and skipped
the recovery e-mail and the phone number. So the only info Google has is
a fake name and a fake birthday.

< off topic US-specific political rant >

The two questions in any application that I never answer if it allows me
are my gender and my race since they don't have "Germanic" or "Italic" and
yet they have the idiotic political designation of "Hispanic" "Black" &
"Asian" in the USA - where "Hispanic" is just a political offshoot of
European (which doesn't exist) and hence, it's an insult to all Caucasians
(IMHO).

If they insist on a race, I often write in "human race" and if they don't
give me the option, then I arbitrarily pick one of the politicized races.

Coincidentally, they also often ask the latest year of education of my
parents (which is something my kids constantly get asked when going to
school) where again, I give them a fully 'bogused answer of my choosing.

Note: If they simply provided a "Why we are asking these unrelated
questions", maybe I'd take them more seriously if they gave a good reason.

< / off topic US-specific political rant >