Re: How will the police find me.

Sujet : Re: How will the police find me.
De : this (at) *nospam* ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 21. May 2024, 19:31:22
Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
micky wrote:
Going hiking tomorrow.  Finally realized I was sending my location
to my ex-GF, but I hadn't told her how to see it.   Assuming the
worst, that I break my leg and can't get off the trail, but the
phone is broken or stolen, and assuming she actually notices it's
6PM and I still haven't texted her to say I'm done, she can see my
phone's location using the simple instructions I found on the web.

When I am out alone I always run a track on my GPS (not phone) which
I can follow back so I do not get lost because I am 78 years old.
If you are really worried you should look at something like a Garmin
inReach.

 We also have an old (non-phone) GPS (Garmin), which can lay
'breadcrumbs' for backtracking. Got us out of a mess in outback
Australia where there was a maze of non-signposted dirt tracks and our
maps (paper and offline smartphone ones) failed us.

 Two-way (text/SMS) satellite communication like the Garmin InReach is
of course better, but also more expensive, because of the monthly
costs for the subscription.

 When we're in the boonies of Australia, we have a PLB (Personal
Locator Beacon). That gives only a signal - not a message - and your
location to the satellite, but doesn't need a costly subscription.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_position-indicating_radiobeacon#Personal_Locator_Beacon>

I am sending this to you and Andrew.  If you do not have cell phone service
how can you send somebody your location and problem?

  Huh?

  Please (re-)read my response and reference.

  As I mentioned, with a PLB you can send a signal - i.e. the fact that
you have a severe problem - and your location. As a result, the
emergency services will come looking for you (they are required to
respond).

  And no, as I said, with a PLB you can not send a message, so you can
not tell *which* problem you have, but the signal indicates that you
have a severe problem. I.e. if you trigger the PLB because you're out of
beer, you will get a hefty fine and might have to pay all the expenses
for the bogus rescue operation.

  So: A device like the Garmin InReach is more expenswive and has
continuous subscription costs. A PLB is cheaper and has no subscription
costs, but can not send/receive messages. Nothing has only advantages
and no disadvantages and life isn't fair. News at eleven.